all at sea (1957)

After the war, he buys himself a nautical command on shore, a decrepit amusement pier at the British resort town Sandcastle-on-Sea, whose prim town council has outlawed arcade games as a form of gambling. When a lonely, unappreciated farm equipment salesman discovers he has only a few weeks to live, he withdraws his savings for a final holiday at a "posh" resort. Running the pier like a Naval vessel, the Captain's determination to make it a modern, going concern meets steady opposition. When Crowley decides to confiscate and demolish Ambrose's pier and Barrington's bathing huts (under compulsory purchase) to further his own business interests, she resigns from the council and informs Ambrose. My favorite comedy of all time. A seasick sea Captain commands an amusement pier despite local opposition. But after seeing it several times, I have grown to love it. It is interesting to note that it was made the same year as "The Bridge on the River Kwai" and that Percy Herbert also shares the screen with Guinness in both films. The Captain of a ferry boat between the restricted British colony in Gibraltar and Spanish Morocco has a woman of differing appeal and temperament in each port. Volunteers take over their local passenger train service (against bus company resistance) when the government announces its closure. Allied spies and Nazi Agents insinuate themselves at a Scottish cottage (converted to a wartime hospital) with interests on an inventor's nearly perfected bomb sight. In this slapstick British comedy, a proud man from a family of seamen is so prone to seasickness that even the slightest aqueous movement makes him unbearably ill. Hunstanton Pier, Hunstanton, Norfolk, England, UK. Capt. Check out our picks for movies that (hopefully) won't keep you up at night. Picture and audio quality are fine, although there are no features or subtitles. To preserve his family's name and his own honor, he opens up a hotel for sailors with an amusement pier. Rod Crawford . ScreenDaily Clarke, a major influence behind the Ealing comedy cycle and the writer of Alec Guinness's first Ealing success, Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949), got the idea for All at Sea (AKA Barnacle Bill), 1957, while sunning himself on Brighton Pier.And Clarke … Reviewed in the United States on May 13, 2015. Check out our picks for movies that (hopefully) won't keep you up at night. I have been waiting for this movie to be available on DVD for years. View production, box office, & company info. Reasonably priced and arrived fast. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 6, 2017, Having a boat my self I found it very interesting, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on February 4, 2020, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 8, 2019. I actually had given up, but I mentioned it to a friend who told me that it was available. CinemaRetro There's a problem loading this menu right now. To some people they may remember this movie titled as 'Barnacle Bill' either way this is a great old comedy that the entire family can enjoy. This FAQ is empty. After the war, he buys himself a nautical command on shore, a decrepit amusement pier at the British resort town Sandcastle-on-Sea, whose prim town council has outlawed arcade games as a form of gambling. An altruistic chemist invents a fabric which resists wear and stain as a boon to humanity, but big business and labor realize it must be suppressed for economic reasons. Share on: Share via Facebook; Share via Twitter; Share via Email; 4 / 5 stars 75%. The workers are an apathetic bunch, led by an insolent Figg (Victor Maddern), who quits as soon as the new owner begins imposing some semblance of discipline. Add the first question. Ambrose finds redemption of sorts when he purchases and rehabilitates a decrepit amusement pier which draws the ire of the local politicos who want to shut his operation down. Great copy with good sound. Not a keeper and will not invest in other episodes. I never wanted to do and only did out of friendship to Charley Frend. All At Sea 1957. 12/17/1957. Was this review helpful to you? Unrated A seasick sea Captain commands an amusement pier despite local opposition. I've spent all my life on a dredger and if you're going to run this pier like a battleship, I shall be sorry I left it. After the war, he buys himself a nautical command on shore, a decrepit amusement pier at the British resort town Sandcastle-on-Sea, whose prim town council has outlawed arcade games as a form of gambling. Be the first one to write a review. I never wanted to be. - Rovi, ancestry, boating, captain [military], career, courage, family, flashback, generation-gap, maniac, motel, sailing, sailor, sea, tradition, wealth. Guinness actually served in the Royal Navy in the Second World War. Barnacle Bill (released in the US as All at Sea) is a 1957 Ealing Studios comedy film, starring Alec Guinness. Running the pier like a Naval vessel, the Captain's determination to make it a modern, going concern meets steady opposition. With Alec Guinness, Harry Locke, Frederick Piper, Fred Griffiths. Volunteers take over their local passenger train service (against bus company resistance) when the government announces its closure. Download All at Sea (1957) Torrent: Captain Ambrose comes from a long line of distinguished sailors, but is all too susceptible to seasickness. Capt. In humorous vignettes, Guinness portrays six of his ancestors, starting with a confused caveman perpetually going in circles in his coracle and ending with his own father's ignominious demise at the Battle of Jutland. CriterionCast Adept at both comedy and drama you barely notice a change in his demeanor when he navigates between the two. Directed by Charles Frend. 12 of 15 people found this review helpful. 1957 87 min NR (Not Rated) Comedy Feature Film SD. Chaos ensues for staff and students alike when an all-boys and an all-girls school are amalgamated into one. Add the first question. Review: "Masters Of Venus" (1962) Region 2 DVD Release From The BFI. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? A seasick sea Captain commands an amusement pier despite local opposition. Clarke script. 4 / 5 stars 75%. One of the last movies from Ealing studios,"All at Sea" ("Barnacle Bill" in England) is very funny at the beginning and end, and mildly funny in between. Captain Ambrose comes from a long line of distinguished sailors, but is all too susceptible to seasickness. But Mr. Guinness, who has made an art of underplaying, never goes too far overboard ..."[9], According to MGM records above, the film cost $659,000 to make (see budget note 1 above) and earned $405,000 in the US and Canada, plus $545,000 elsewhere, ($950,000 in total, see note 1 above) resulting in a return on investment of 44%, and a profit of $291,000.[2]. William Horatio Ambrose (Guinness) wants desperately to live up to the proud family tradition; the Ambroses have always been mariners (even if not distinguished ones), hence their family motto, "Omnes per Mare" ("All at Sea"). Was this review helpful to you? Guinness plays his character completely straight and the result is very funny indeed. Barnacle Bill (released in the US as All at Sea) is a 1957 Ealing Studios comedy film, starring Alec Guinness. Reviewed in the United States on June 21, 2015. Reviewed in the United States on December 16, 2015. Reviewed in the United States on May 24, 2015. An assassin is annoyed by a vacuum cleaner salesman determined to stop him. 1957 87 min NR (Not Rated) Comedy Feature Film SD. Original title: Barnacle Bill (All at Sea). He soon attracts many happy, paying passengers for his stationary inaugural "cruise". All at Sea is a film directed by Charles Frend with Alec Guinness, Irene Browne, Maurice Denham, Percy Herbert .... Year: 1957. Every time he comes up with an ingenious way to make his business profitable, they see to it that the council outlaws it. This is a good copy, and I can't recommend it highly enough if you like offbeat British comedies. The girls are there to suggest something bawdy and naughty, but that is not what this film concerns. The film was written by the screenwriter of Passport to Pimlico. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. (1957). After the war, he buys himself a nautical command on shore, a decrepit amusement pier at the British resort town Sandcastle-on-Sea, whose prim town council has outlawed arcade games as a form of gambling. Figg: Cast This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. [3] The film was written by the screenwriter of Passport to Pimlico.[4]. Screenwriter T.E.B. The first of the Ealing ... See full summary ». Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. It is a great success and this inspires the jealousy of the local residents who try to destroy his new empire. Jim Wormold, who is a vacuum cleaner salesman, participates as an Agent in the British Secret Service. "All at Sea" is akin to other Ealing Studio classics like "Passport to Pimlico" and "Tight Little Island" which share an absurdist sensibility lacking in today's comedies. He plays an unsuccessful Royal Navy officer and six of his maritime ancestors. Running the pier like a Naval vessel, the Captain's determination to make it a modern, going concern meets steady opposition. But with an unexpected new ally, he pursues a remarkable scheme to liberate his "ship" from land authorities. Chaos ensues for staff and students alike when an all-boys and an all-girls school are amalgamated into one. He counters by registering his property as a "foreign" naval vessel (christened the Arabella), under the flag of convenience of the easygoing country of "Liberama", which puts it outside the town's jurisdiction. I love all things British and so when I was wanting something a little more light-hearted to take a short break from TCM’s Summer of Darkness, I turned to Sir Alec Guinness, Ealing Studios, and the Warner Archive.   |  The comedy comes from a slight overstatement of people and situations, not from gross misrepresentations of them. But with an unexpected new ally, he pursues a remarkable scheme to liberate his "ship" from land authorities. Arabella is obviously an animated model. With Alec Guinness, Harry Locke, Frederick Piper, Fred Griffiths. When a lonely, unappreciated farm equipment salesman discovers he has only a few weeks to live, he withdraws his savings for a final holiday at a "posh" resort. We love the British comedies of this era, and Alec Guinness was the master and commander of these quirky and uniquely English films. Trevor Reviews Michael Curtiz’s The Breaking Point [Criterion Collection Blu-Ray Review], 26 July 2016

A Perfect Getaway Ending, Mastermind Algorithm, The Great Tales Of Middle-earth, Joe And Kendra Duggar Age, Disney Action Movies, Honor Kneafsey Disability, Best Recipes Of All Time, Venita Varden, Lesley Worton, The Song Of Love, Cannibal Tribes, Gobots Toyline,